Finding a Writing Mentor

Finding a Mentor for Writing

Writing mentors are difficult to find. Not everyone would like to teach writing. I will find it difficult.

Basic grammar is easier, the basic rules are in the books. Practice and learning from examples make you learn it easily.

Writing on the other hand comes to be a tedious process. You have to edit and analyze for meaning. Teaching how to make sentences, encouraging students about their love for words, knowing how to make outlines and developing paragraphs are essential in writing subjects.

More serious writing is critical. Grammar teachers do not all qualify to be real writers. You know, that writer “who writes with his blood.” I can’t exactly explain how this goes, but I think I can feel and would know who these writers are when I meet them, either face to face or in books, or in what they write.

I think I have a lot of writing mentors. I try to get a piece of the writing teachers and the authors I read ( Filipinos and non-Filipinos). They have helped a lot and in every discussion they spend with me, I value every sentence they give me.

One cannot teach what one doesn’t have. A writing mentor must be persevering all the time and is happy to share with the students. He is never selfish, but not teaching everything, because the writing student has to learn and keep pace with what he/she wants of the writing life.

I know I owe so much to my writing teachers. Be they my MFA teachers, my workshop teachers, the panelists, the editors, the publishers, other writers who help me, my co-teachers, my friends who check my writing and to all those who read me. Without these people I will not be where I am now. They know who they are. They may not know, too. And if you happen to read this one… perhaps, you are one of them.

Online, I have my writing mentors(Sir Albert Casuga's/Sir Isagani Cruz' blogs), too. While it’s impossible to go to school due to many reasons – life will teach and never stop. Online education is very helpful in this age of high technology. Thank you to the publishers online and to the writing teachers online who help us write.

Read the works of writers: classic, contemporary, and those of the tradition you choose.

Read Rilke’s “Letters to a Young Poet.”

Each writer has his/her own writing style, imbibed from all his writing teachers, and the writer of his choice.

To my writing teachers and friends, I thank you.

Rose Flores – Martinez
IShallWrite
RoseVoc2

Comments