the resurrected Jesus

Monday after Easter

An Easter promise is GOD talking to us face to face. He reminds us that His love goes beyond our mortality and the creation of the universe. Oftentimes, we don’t mind Him because we’re busy with work and everyday affairs. But GOD doesn’t give up on us, and even highlights this Easter celebration like Christmas, by praying together and remembering our faith.

God has blessed me with an image of the “Lord of the Resurrection,” that is in our house now. The image belongs to the sister of my father, and to our family. My aunt tells me that it is from Spain as old as Magellan and Basco da Gama. My grandfather is a simple folk from Laguna, but then the image was given to them by the Flores great grand dad who married a rich woman from Spain… way way back. Ever since for many years it had been the Lord of the Resurrection in the church of Victoria Laguna. Later when the church was able to get another image from a good benefactor – one Lord of the Resurrection belonged to the church, so it was returned to us. And so our Lord of the Resurrection came home.

This image had many stories by my Aunt Teresa, and even my grandparents when they were still living. They said it walked in their house and always guarded the unmarried and widowed sibling of my “grand lolo.” Today, its guarding me time when my husband died and now, with my sick mother. I really love Jesus for reaching out to us in situations like these.

I couldn’t believe my Aunt when she tells me some relatives tell her there’s a paper inside. Maybe. But Im excited to unlock the door at the back of Jesus. She even told me the Marcoses bid for the image upon hearing its age – as old as Magellan in Philippine history.

Once in my email, I told Fr. Nalin about our Lord of the Resurrection, and now, Im telling everyone about these other little things I know. When I was a child, when my Daddy and I visited Laguna, we’d sleep in my “grand lolo’s” small house guarded with the big Lord of the Resurrection. Because I was small then, I’d always close my eyes when night falls because I thought it would speak to me. His eyes look real, and the Spanish eyes would gaze so seriously calm at me. Wow!

What is the role of the resurrected Jesus? Maybe to tell me that GOD is alive and all that happens in life is passing but worthy. All the trials would bear wisdom leading to realizing Christ in my life. All happiness comes because of love and kindness. All of the questions hanging on me needn’t be answered. Jesus had never left.

If I could have these chances of testifying for GOD and his love – I have to do it well and follow only Christ. I thank GOD for this grace and mercy. And as He came back for me, so He would for you and for all of us.

In St Hannibal,
Happy Easter!
/rose flores – martinez for vocations 2009
4.13.2009

Comments