IKEBANA: Sensitivity and Tranquility of Flower Art

IKEBANA: Sensitivity and Tranquility of Flower Art

Japanese are known for their sensitivity and love for nature. Ikebana is Japanese art in flower arrangement that shows the relationship of sky, earth, and man. Centuries ago, the first students and teachers of Ikebana were monks. Solitude is necessary during the process of arranging the flowers. Tranquility of the heart is attained after the finished project.

Let us learn how Norie (Tanabe), a Japanese professional describes Ikebana.

Question: What is Ikebana?

Norie: Ikebana is one of the Japanese’ traditional lessons, especially for women. In the usual Ikebana, the teacher gives students some flowers and the students decorate by themselves on the flower plate called "Kaki.”

We decide a chosen flower and decorate it by free emotion and feeling. That is why the quality of finished project /article depends on the sensitivity.

If our mental condition couldn't settle down, the quality of article would not be complete.
Through a lot of lesson and convention, we can get the license according to our level.

Question: When did you begin to learn Ikebana?

Norie: My mother and her sister (they are a twin) have taken Ikebana lesson since their childhood days.

One day I was brought to their Ikebana class and the teacher gave me some flowers. She recommended me to try it for pleasure.

After I completed it, everyone was amazed in the quality (It's true not in all modesty!) of my work, even though I have never taken the lesson.

So the teacher recommended me to begin Ikebana. I was glad to hear that because everyone praised me!

It is the reason why I began Ikebana.

Question: What are the other famous flower art in Japan?

Norie: Flower arrangements are famous in Japan. And also, dry flower arrangement is popular.

We enjoy the beauty of flower imitations and enjoy dry flower. It lasts longer than Ikebana because in Ikebana real flowers are used.

But though some people say imitation, dry, and unreal flowers are reasonable, one cannot completely enjoy real beauty and feel the importance of a real flower.

Also, real flowers give us clean air and fresh feeling!

Question: Did you enjoy learning Ikebana? Why?

Norie: This question is a bit difficult question for me. Of course, I could enjoy Ikebana. But sometimes, some flowers are difficult to use. It is easier to use the flower with a center, like the sunflower.

It is important to make a good center. Following the center, the next ones can be decorated easily. When I can find the center flower, I can have a lot of images. I enjoy it very much. To feel and express my idea is interesting!

Question: How about other Japanese, do they value Ikebana?

Norie: Some Japanese don’t try the Ikebana. Some say it was the custom for rich people a long time ago.

That's why most Japanese value Ikebana but hesitate to try it. I bet their images for Ikebana should be changed once they try. It is not so difficult and there is no textbook. All you need to do is use your sensitivity.

Question: Compare Ikebana to the other Japanese way of life/tradition

Norie: “Sado” is one tradition in Japan. It is to make Japanese tea (green tea) and enjoy it with some Japanese cake on “Tatami.”

Both customs need a stable mental condition.

I think Judo and Karate of the Japanese are also special, among others.

Thank you Norie for sharing to us about Ikebana!

Texts by
Rose Flores – Martinez
Norie Tanabe

Comments