Mobile Mom

Mobile Mom

“Been there, done that,” could very well be said by this mother of five. She has literally made the rounds of all possible professions, some of which are male dominated.

Beth, a Filipina, used to work as security guard for Colegio dela Milagrosa, a job that required agility and, well, endurance to graveyard shifts. Then again, a school, is not as “risky” a post as, say, a bank or jewelry store.

There was a time when she was vending food at the terminal where her husband was also working.

Then fate struck and her husband got sick. The small space they were renting became a mini store. She was minding the store and attending to her husband’s needs. In between, she would go to the bus terminal and sell to commuters. She needed all the money to sustain her growing family.

In 1994, she ventured into another adventure: She loaned money to buy a tricycle, paying for it P 4,132.00 monthly, scrimping on some P600.00 she would earn in a day.

“I feel I can sustain the family with this kind of work,” she confidently says.

Her route takes her to different bus terminal shuttling travelers form Bulan, Gubat, and Casiguran, among others. Soon she established a clientele and would average enough to put food on the table and save up for the monthly installment.

“I was always excited,” she says. “Driving is fun. I have a singer and some band player for regular customers. They thought I was a man because of my get-up.”

She continues, “Some people wonder if I’m proud of my job. I always tell them I am not ashamed (of it) because I have to help feeding my children.

After the tricycle stint, she also tried her hand at a job in a vulcanizing shop, but that was not regular so she also tried her hand at a job in a vulcanizing shop, but that was not regular so she decided to apply as domestic help.

And because life continues, this mother smiles with a closing word, “I just work hard for my family because I love my children.”

Rose Flores - Martinez
http://rfvietnamrose09.blogspot.com
12.30.09

Comments