The Art of Cooking/Mother: Expert Chef

The Art of Cooking


“I had to clean the fish, and so I soaped it.”

That attempt was foul so my sister laughed at me. That happened when I was in high school.

Cooking is an art. Like learning a language practice makes it perfect. In school, we begin to learn this as part of our Home Economics class. Here we’re taught how to cook rice, chop vegetables, boil soup, and make a sunny side-up, among others.

As we grow older, we become more detailed about our foods. We try to cook, and learn cooking with zest because we just love to eat. We even learn the names of menus, delicacies, fish labels, popular canned products for sauces, herbs, TV dinners for food-to-go.

“Cook” in its imperative sense, is preparation before eating. In the English standard dictionary it means basically preparing a hot meal. It could also mean steam, stew, zap, whip, and more. My first cooking project was cucumber pickles - I had fun using this food shapers and scoopers. I guess some girls like me aren’t just so good at cooking but only in making some kind of art in it.

One time, I got this writing opportunity as contributor for a cooking magazine (COOK Magazine, Madonna Publishing). I felt elated though most of the articles I only did was about food art, surveys on food and health concepts, and hot cooking tips.

Then one restaurateur asked me “ Are you a food entrepreneur?”

I said “No.”

“Are you a culinary expert?”

“I said, “No.”

“Then why do you write for the magazine?”

“Because I am a writer,” I didn’t know if she understood me.

Later when I became a mother, cooking became part of my daily chores. This was work and art for me. Upon remembering that woman who could have asked me that belittling question, “Are you a culinary expert?” I came across the fact that she did not know what cooking really meant and what a mother could be for her family.
Hot Cooking Tips:

1. Prepare all the needed ingredients on the cooking area so you would not forget anything.
2. Fruits and vegetables have to be washed thoroughly – even leaf by leaf.
3. Let vinegar boil before you stir it.
4. Use a separate small spoon for tasting, not the big spoon you use for cooking.
5. Try to use less salt, less sugar, less oil.
6. Water used must be guaranteed clean and/or boiled.
7. Always remember that innovation in cooking methods are coming in from time to time, but traditional cooking imparts the standard and wise ways for all time.
8. Store food properly in the refrigerator and/ or freezer in safe containers. Always maintain the cooking area clean.
9. Cook menus or even fast-to-go foods with more onions, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, and pepper as desired so vegetables will always be in the menus.
10. Aim for fresh ingredients and discard old stocked canned goods. Read labels and watch out expiry dates!

rose flores - martinez
http://rfvietnamrose09.blogspot.com

Comments