Character

Character

Character is the essential and moral qualities of a person according to Mr. Webster. It is what you are from birth to old age. It is what you make of yourself, the automatic mustering of defenses in preparation for a flight.

Life is not easy to understand. We can neither plumb the depths nor pierce the shades of its recesses. Good moral qualities alone can nourish and bring light to the numberless loves and hatreds of living. It was unfortunate for me to lose my father at an early age. But at the same time it gave me wisdom. It taught me to move on and reach for my ambitions. Without a Dad means nobody would protect me, so I have to protect myself.

I grew up with a fist despite my gender. I established my own values in conformity with the universal law. Love is the universal law. A universal law is superior to all laws.

This means that from experiences we can acquire qualities that have certain agreement from the self and its struggles in life. These experiences augment fortune, dignity and beliefs.

According to La Rochefaucauld, a French writer known for his maxims, “ Thousands of people with good qualities are displeasing, and thousands pleasing with far less abilities.” Why? “Because the first appear to be what they are not and the second are what they appear.” Truly, sincerity of purpose makes up character. Honesty and courage count essential, too.

Now the word comes clear to me. I clearly understood that each of us has his own predicaments. In the tests of life is where we get the strength in character and closeness to God. Here lies personal freedom.

Character, I suppose is the right attitude in good and bad times. How far can we go? Do you have character?

/rose flores martinez, 2009
http://rfvietnamrose09.blogspot.com
an old article revised
posted 10.12.09

Comments