You Might Want to Read This

My Writing Classes (You might want to read this…)

1.
I’ve read a lot of topics from the blogs of my professors, and those in the literary world. Of course, I’m nearly drowned but I feel so challenged.

Who knew that my home is the bottom of the sea?

2.
While reading Sir Isagani’s postings and Sir Albert Casuga's postings, I’m learning more about literary criticism, and, of course, writing. A lot of questions come to me, so I get excited posting comments even if I am not a literature and language major. It is strange because I’m an accounting major from PUP.

But then, I study more about writing... During my masteral classes – I could remember Dr. Campomanes shooting me a question about Semiotics. Well, I was new to literary criticism so I thought of a conclusion and focus - just like writing an essay with a beginning, a middle, and an end.

That was a vivid masteral classroom at DLSU, while I was in front and grappling for theories. The truth is I crammed for my report; I accept my fault. In fairness to Sir Campones, he was brilliant and he shared to us a lot of knowledge, and books that I treasure.

Today, I’m getting a bigger glimpse of literary criticism because of what I read from devoted professors and kind souls like Sir Isagani and Sir Albert, as if I’m getting classes online.

3.
I remember, one of my writer friends – cried because of Sir Lumbrera. She cried going around DLSU, on a Saturday, and we all felt sorry about the situation. So from what I’ve heard about him and every time I saw him, I thought he was a terror. Even if I wasn’t his student, I often greeted him and he always smiled back at me.

The class loved to talk about our teachers. One classmate said that she liked Dr. Bautista, the poet. She told us, he was so fatherly. We envied her. And so – I thought I wanted him to be my poetry teacher, too. He looked so mysterious. He never became my teacher. (Last Sunday, I read from the papers about his “Prokuff.” The article was cute. It rings in my mind.)

And so, Ma’am Marjorie was my poetry teacher. Through her – I became part of the Bienvenido Creative Writing Center at DLSU by typing and posting a writer’s quote, every two weeks? I loved this work because I was able to read some of her books in the center. Maám Marj was so kind, and with her dignified stature she taught with grace and wit . I couldn’t compare her to anyone, but someone so adorable.

Hahah… And Sir Isagani Cruz? He knew some secrets about us, his writing students. Writers share secrets because they understand each other. I went to confession already. My first workshops were with him and classmates. They were memorable because after that, I didn’t have any workshops in school again. “I was shocked,” he commented on our personal essays. I’ve learned so much from Sir Isagani about nonfiction. From journals to book reviews and literary letters. Now, Im writing literary letters to vocations/ priests and brothers by the inspiration of Saint Hannibal Mary Di Francia. Sir Ganni’s brains are celestial.

And with Sir Tony Perez? Every Friday, went our giggles and creative writing exercises, and knowing and experiencing characters. It’s a secret, too. We went to the launching of his books like, “Mga Panibagong Kulam.” All of us loved Sir Tony. I would be proud to tell you about aura’s and how to align chakras, and dreams and using the third eye. LOL. “The epic of Kublai Khan were pieces of the author’s dreams,” Sir Perez said. I’m keeping the stone, he gave me. A stone that absorbs undesirable energy.

And then I wrote about Sir Clodualdo del Mundo and filmwriting. The article was published in Tribune Newspaper. I got one whole page for Sir Clodualdo with big pictures. Why didn’t they post it at DLSU bulletin?

Till my next stories about my writing teachers… NOT gossip, hahaha…

4.
I also have my publication editors and the KATINIG

The KATINIG is a group of writers with Sir Reynaldo Duque of Liwayway, Sir Dan, Sir Landicho, Sir Catilo… and more… Of course, we had workshops, too, and eating. Sir Dan came up with a book of our stories together.

I am blessed to have pieces of my teachers and I thank GOD for these blessings.

Take note: I failed subjects in my comprehensives… writing Rizal’s essay, and about “Ladlad” – I got the wrong author and title, sorry for me.


5.
From here, I have to pause and practice and read. Maybe going to school would be enough. I have to create and produce, write more and better everyday.

The penman Sir Butch Dalisay told me to sit down and write, because I asked him why can’t I qualify for more workshops?

Sir Butch Dalisay shared to me a compilation of some of his stories via email while I was in Vietnam.

6.
And would you imagine – I’ve been at DLSU for more than four years including residency? And I went back to school from time to time just to go to the library on my own and read… I’m lucky to have this financial scholarship of DLSU and the endorsement of Father Boyet, and my former employer Boy Abunda, where I was his PR writer for some years. Well, I couldn’t afford the tuition fees as a housewife, part time teacher, part time writer; GOD knows that. I love GOD for taking care of me.

GOD, bless the teachers. Mabuhay!

And more news to come…

Smile.

/Rose Flores - Martinez
Done 1:00pm, 5.13.09, Philippines

Comments