Learning With Saint Hannibal

LEARNING WITH ST HANNIBAL

One nursery student asked me, “ Teacher, who is St. Hannival?”

“St. Hannibal,” I told him, “is a saint for vocations.”

“Oh.” Nathan smiled as if he understood all that I said. “ Does he love Jesus so much?” he curiously asked me.

“Of course, St. Hannibal loves Jesus so much, that is why he became a saint.”

From then on, Nathan knew St. Hannibal, and he always bowed at the altar with his two brothers when they’re in the house kissing his relic.

And then, we went on with our lessons, reading AEIOU and talking about Spiderman.

Also, on one occasion, MM, my smart niece at the young age of 5, asked me while I introduced St. Hannibal to her… “What does St. Hannibal do?”

I was surprised of her question, her big eyes searching me intelligent answers.

“He prays and prays to Jesus and Mama Mary for young boys and girls like you.”

And then she smiled showing me the face of St Hannibal in the calendar.

I gave her a St. Hannibal bookmark and she kissed it reverently.

“Thanks to Saint Hannibal,” MM said.

Times I was left alone after prayers, I keep asking myself, "Who is this Saint that children love so much, as if they’re so familiar with each other. Why am I introducing this saint to the children?"

Grace of GOD? Perhaps. Like St. Therese of the Child Jesus, St. Hannibal wants to testify with us from day to day in this new millennium.

In a Language Center where I had taught, my cubicle was adorned with nothing, but a cup of pencils, a bookmark showing St. Hannibals face, and the vocation prayer with Jesus' picture. The students kept asking me questions about my only display. “Is he your father? Is he the Pope? Is he a priest? Who is he teacher? Tell me his name.”
Our subjects ended discussing about him and work. It’s supernatural!

I could see their faces glowing while asking about vocation, their jobs, their studies, their dreams, their ambitions, and the kindness they wanted to share.

I could see their zeal making things find its meaning, us, learning together with St. Hannibal.

Send O Lord, Holy Apostles into His church.

Rose Flores Martinez
Done December 2 2007, 1:40AM, Philippines

0 comments:

Comments